In a previous post, I wrote about Prayer and Fasting, and my desire to do so for a 21 day period. I started on Monday, March 5th. Actually a day later than I planned. But anyway, I started. I have decided to fast from sweets until April 1st, Easter. Sweets are something that I have a hard time resisting. During this period of fasting, each time I am tempted to have a sweet and I refuse, I am going to try to say, “Thank You” to God for all He has done for me and that this small effort of mine is a way to say so. I will try to say a prayer at that time as well. Each morning I am going to incorporate a time of prayer to set the tone for the day. My goal out of all of this is to have a closer relationship with the Lord. I will pray about the needs of family, friends, the nation and of course, myself.
How to Begin a Prayer and Fasting Journey
- Decide what area of life you want to focus on. Your health, relationships, finances, etc.
- Decide what you will fast from, certain foods, certain meals each day, social media, cell phone, TV, whatever is a stronghold of sorts for you.
- Determine the length of the fast. 10 days, 21 days, 30 days?
- Set aside time each day to pray. Doesn’t have to be a long stretch. Whatever works for you.
- Be committed to following through.
- If so desired, keep a journal each day. This will help you when the fast is over to look back and see what emotions or experiences you were having during the fast. You can see how you grew over this time period.
- Each time your abstain from whatever it is you are fasting from, remember to Thank God. Remember Jesus’s great sacrifice on the cross and express that this is your small way of thanking Him.
I hope you will join me on the journey and I look forward to your comments and thoughts about this topic and your experiences. Many Blessings!